Thursday, October 1, 2015

Bystander Behavior

Although I cannot think of a specific time when I have been a bystander, I can remember times when I played high school basketball when we needed leadership and no one would stand up.  There were times when people would be very negative when all our team needed was some morale.  I never interjected and showed encouragement on the team, rather I listened and nodded my head at people's constant complaints about the coaches, practices, teammates, etc.  Looking back, I know if someone would have stepped in and demanded that we all change our attitudes, then the season would have been much smoother, and we all would have been much happier.
I heard from multiple people in several instances that studies show that college students would risk their safety if it means being socially accepted.  Students will sometimes also risk the safety of others if it means being socially accepted as well.  This safety does not always mean physical, rather it could mean someone else's emotional or spiritual safety as well.  This is when we become bystanders.  College students are so worried about fitting in that they rather blend in with the crowd than stick out doing the right thing and potentially lose their social status.  I speak for myself sometimes too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment